Sunday, May 18, 2008

We are Rastafari!

So begins the live CD of Bob Marley that I currently am enjoying.  We were talking late during the Friday class of how reggae music, even as a secular music for, still has  very close ties to the ideas of the Rastafari.  I think that it is such a nice change of pace, because of the way that I am used to hearing religious music co-opting as many genres as possible, like how we discussed christian music.  And when I went to church, I realized that many of the hymns were other songs, with just the lyrics changed.  So not only does Christian music take (or borrow from, whichever term you would like) the genre, but they sometimes even straight up take the songs of other genres.  So it's refreshing to know that they have their own sound, and that no matter who else borrows it, it will still always have a hint of Rastafarianism in it, no matter how drastically you change the lyrics.

Alright, I'm gonna go and enjoy the music some more, safe in the knowledge that its message is permanent.

No comments: